Sourdough – Trying Different Bulk Prove Method

Tried a new experimental with my bulk prove. Instead of my normal cold bulk for 24 hours I decided to bulk prove at 79°F in my proving box, shape then pick up my normal process again (e.g. cold retard in fridge overnight and bake the next morning) It was an experiment… Here is how theContinue reading “Sourdough – Trying Different Bulk Prove Method”

Roasted Red Pepper-Jarlsberg Cheese Sourdough

I’m trying out some new breads with inclusions. Thinking that I’d like to add some additional loaves to my repertoire and “dial them in”. Thought I’d try a roasted red pepper/Jarlsberg cheese recipe. The red pepper was intentional (went to store and bought a jar). The cheese not so much … I had a pieceContinue reading “Roasted Red Pepper-Jarlsberg Cheese Sourdough”

Cinnamon-Raisin Sourdough

I’m thinking about trying a series of sourdough breads with “inclusions”. There have been a number of different breads I’ve observed other bakers baking which look quite tasty. I’ve done Cheddar-Jalapeño. This time I thought I’d try Cinnamon-Raisin Both leverage lamination for the inclusions. The cheddar adds a bit of additional moisture to the equationContinue reading “Cinnamon-Raisin Sourdough”

Sourdough Croissant Proving Experiment

Decided today to experiment with my proving length. A while back I had inadvertently lengthened my proving time (at that point 2 hours) to 4 hours. Those croissants weren’t “ruined” and actually caused me to intentionally prove for that length of time for batches since then. Earlier this week I saw an Instagram post byContinue reading “Sourdough Croissant Proving Experiment”

Chia Boule & Cheddar/Jalapeño Batard

Trying to get back on my baking cadence since I’ve been traveling lately. My starter feeding has been a bit off and I’m not feeling it’s as “happy” as it has been. As a result I fed it 1:5:5 and did the same for the levain. Decided I’d mix my dough, let it bulk fermentContinue reading “Chia Boule & Cheddar/Jalapeño Batard”

Trying a new method… (Part 4)

Well … they’re baked and it was a first attempt for sure! I had some interesting results for sure. I’m going to need to ponder, research and think a bit before my next attempt. All loaves came out different than I expected. All were moist (more so than normal). Tasted good with an OK crust.Continue reading “Trying a new method… (Part 4)”

Sourdough Croissant Observations

This morning I cut into a croissant that I baked yesterday afternoon (and ate it soon afterwards!) I’ve been trying my best to see what I can do to affect the cross-section crumb to get the “honeycomb” I see mores skilled bakers attain. On this last bake I had played with my lock-in technique. AndContinue reading “Sourdough Croissant Observations”

Technique Tweak Wasn’t a Fluke!

I was able to recreate similar oven bloom results applying the tweaks to my feeding and autolyse methods. The results from my experiment were NOT a fluke! Yay!! I’m pleased with these results and will continue to use them going forward as my “standard method”. Always learning…

Sourdough Experiment (Part 2)

Whoa! Nice oven spring!! I am VERY pleased with these results! I took the dough out of fridge at 8am, divided it and pre-shaped into rounds. Bench-rested for an hour covered with a towel before final shaping and then placing into bannetons. I then put the loaves into my proving box for another 1.5 hoursContinue reading “Sourdough Experiment (Part 2)”

Sourdough Experiment (Part 1)

I’m continuing to experiment and tweak my technique. Lately I’ve been wondering about the oven spring and how my technique early on in my bakes are affecting my end results. Tweak #1: Starter Feeding I typically bake sourdough bread once a week. Pre-COVID-19 I traveled for work Monday – Thursday. I would store my starterContinue reading “Sourdough Experiment (Part 1)”