Trying to get back on my baking cadence since I’ve been traveling lately.
My starter feeding has been a bit off and I’m not feeling it’s as “happy” as it has been. As a result I fed it 1:5:5 and did the same for the levain.
Decided I’d mix my dough, let it bulk ferment for 24 hours, shape and place in bannetons overnight and bake for morning.
I shaped one loaf into a boule and coat with chia seeds. The other I thought I’d laminate with sharp cheddar and some jalapeños for put up previously.
These loaves went into the Dutch Ovens after they had been preheated to 420°F (convection).
My normal pattern has been to bake the loaves for 35 minutes covered then pull out to continue baking on an unheated pizza stone (keeps bottom from burning) to darken the crust.
I ended up baking an additional 16 minutes (5 min + 6 min + 5 min). Not sure why other than the additional moisture from the cheese and jalapeños.
I didn’t get the oven bloom I had expected. Thinking that my starter is a bit out of kilter. Will need to adjust and see if that’s the problem.
That said, the bread is really tasty! The cheddar/jalapeños has a taste close to that of a ChezIt with a bit more “zing”.
I’llneed to keep on experimenting…