Trying a new method… (Part 4)

Well … they’re baked and it was a first attempt for sure!

I had some interesting results for sure. I’m going to need to ponder, research and think a bit before my next attempt.

All loaves came out different than I expected. All were moist (more so than normal). Tasted good with an OK crust.

Loaf #1 spread out, had limited bloom. Crumb holes were larger, as expected, due to higher hydration level. Plenty of blistering due to the loaf being baked directly from the fridge.

It will be a candidate for making croutons.

Loaf # 2 I shaped (again) out of the banneton. It developed an ear (somewhat) and had more oven spring overall. Crumb structure was open but closer to other loaves I’ve made in the past. Blisters on the surface were present, but moderately.

Loaf # 3 was intended to be a boule (round) not a batard. I ended up shaping it (again) out of the banneton before scoring a baking. It had the most closed crumb structure and seems to have the highest moisture level of the three loaves. I scored it in a “+” like I normally do for boules rather than the slash for batards.

Overall they weren’t bad…definitely a “first try”. I’ll continue to read up on higher-hydration loaves. Certainly the strength of the dough to support blooming is an issue. I’d rather have the go upward than look like a Ciabatta (unless that was my intent).

I enjoyed making the dough this way. I’d be interested in seeing what happens the next time.

Published by Jim Hayden

Enterprise Transformation Consultant by day; Baker by night! Learning all the time! Iterative and incremental improvement always!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: