I’m continuing to experiment and tweak my technique.
Lately I’ve been wondering about the oven spring and how my technique early on in my bakes are affecting my end results.
Tweak #1: Starter Feeding
I typically bake sourdough bread once a week. Pre-COVID-19 I traveled for work Monday – Thursday. I would store my starter in the fridge. Thursday evening I usually returned home at 9:30pm. I’d feed my starter about 10pm on a 1:1:1 ratio (110g each of starter, water and my 50/50 blend of Bread and Whole Wheat King Arthur flour).
This time I fed it on a 1:5:5 ratio (30g starter and 150g each of water and my 50/50 blend of flour).
I’d like to see I’d the starter became more active and less acidic (stronger bubbles).
Tweak #2: Autolyse
I’ve autolysed like everyone else for “about an hour”. I’d take my flour, add the water and mix with my KitchenAid mixer (spiral dough hook attachment). It was almost a pre-knead since I did this for about 6 mins).
This time I mixed it by hand and let it sit for 2+ hours. I spritzed it with water and covered with cling wrap so the surface wouldn’t dry out.
I then mixed in my levain that I had prepared (500g for this recipe). I made this amount by taking 100g from my fed starter above and 200g each of water and strong bread flour.
I mixed in the levain and by doing so started my bulk ferment. About 30 minutes later I added the salt.
I then cover the dough and set it into my fridge. This was about 8pm and I will pull out at 8am Sunday
Excited to see what my results will be…
To be continued….