Well… they looked like baguettes (sorta).
Good thing was that I didn’t put my oven out with my massive volume of steam. Secondly, they were sized about right for my scalloped rack and not overhanging.
My wife’s comment was: “Why did you change virtually every variable from last time you attempted baguettes? Doesn’t seem like a recipe for success.”
She has a point.
This bake didn’t have to oven bloom I expected. Probably due to my more limited steam. My steam technique needs improvement. the end result was that my baguettes were more dense and moist with a tighter crumb (smaller bubbles).
The dough was more slack in the Couche. It also stuck. I haven’t been using rice flour. All the other bakers I see talk about using rice flour in their bannetons and on the Couche. I ordered some from Amazon after I couldn’t find it in my local grocer. Hopefully it will keep my dough from sticking to the cloth unlike what happens currently with AP flour.
I’ve also seen from some other bakers I follow on how to not waste bread. I’m going to cut these baguettes up and make croutons which I will then crush and bake breadcrumbs. All’s good!
I will go back to the other process with the combined leaven and poolish and focus on mastering that recipe and method.
I’m not going to let it get the best of me!