Creating a Sourdough Starter (Part 2)

I am (finally) going to continue my thread on creating a sourdough starter. Happy to actually do this given that 10 days ago I totaled my motorcycle on a winding rode in western Georgia. God’s grace alone that I “walked away” and am not in the ICU or the morgue!

Where I left off I had mixed the diced apple with the flour and water and left it to ferment.

Here is what happened with the jar over the next 48 hours or so…

At this point I decided to take about a half of the starter (300g) and add the same amount of flour and water to it. This is a 1:1:1 ratio. I felt it OK to do this type of feeding since it looked to be so active.

As you can see from the photos the mason jar I was using got filled with almost completely. There would be no place for the starter to expand. Therefore, after feeding I discarded half of it. I wasn’t quite sure how it would work out….

Well… I needn’t have been worried. My starter grew just fine!

I did the above at 5pm and by 10pm this is what my starter was looking like.

As you can see at this point my starter is very active and doubled in just 5 hours. I put the glove on the top to tell me how active the CO2 production happens to be. My starter will “wave” at me if it is going strong! Ha!

It was at this point that I transitioned this starter into a regular feeding schedule (which was then interrupted by my motorcycle accident).

Glad to be alive! Glad to be able to continue to bake and share what I’m learning with others….

Published by Jim Hayden

Enterprise Transformation Consultant by day; Baker by night! Learning all the time! Iterative and incremental improvement always!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: