Well… after that last bake I thought I’d try some tweaks to my technique.
Probably should have reduced the elements I changed at once…
Change #1 – Sourdough Starter. I’ve two (which I haven’t named yet). This was my second.
Change #2 – Proofing. I did my normal 24 hour bulk fermentation prior to shaping. However, I decided to prove in my proving box instead of putting the bannetons back in the fridge overnight. It’s that “back to work thing” and client calls / baking don’t mix well.
Overall, the oven bloom was better but not as good as I’ve previously experienced. Crust dimples were less (expected) since I didn’t bake directly from the fridge. Ear was OK on one loaf and less pronounced on other.
Not a bad attempt… will continue to practice!